Teachers Needed – Burao Academy of Science and Technology Burao, Somaliland (Northern Somalia)
|Native||Only for native English speakers|
Teachers Needed – Burao Academy of Science and Technology
Burao, Somaliland (Northern Somalia)
Burao Academy of Science and Technology is currently recruiting motivated, self-reliant teachers for the 2018-2019 school year, commencing Immediately. Join us and use your skills to prepare students for a life of character, knowledge, integrity and excellence. The impact you will have on the lives of your students will be rewarding and long-lasting.
We, at Burao Academy, are proud of our rare model where children of very low economic standing are able to have access to top quality education. Our mission is to end extreme poverty and violence in Somalia through education and youth empowerment. Burao Academy is our premier project to fulfill that mission.
Compensation will include room and board (with utilities) on school campus, health insurance, cost of flights, and a modest monthly stipend.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Burao Academy of Science and Technology Overview:
The Burao Academy of Science and Technology is an independent, non-profit, coeducational, boarding school offering comprehensive education with special focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) as well as practical career training in the technical field. The school will prepare students from the Horn of Africa for real world situations with a seamless combination of strong academics, technical applications, and analytical problem solving skills. The school will use common planning time, an extended school day, and teacher collaboration to drive student achievement.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher
• Native English speaker
• Altruistic work/volunteer experience
• Work experience in Africa or other developing countries is desirable
• Background in STEM preferred
• Experience teaching, lesson planning or supervising children in an education setting
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to adapt to change and be flexible
• Teach one or more of the following: English, writing, literature, mathematics, science, social studies and technology.
• Share resources and develop teaching materials with teachers through co- teaching and co-planning
• Assist in developing and implementing plans for the curriculum program assigned
• Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences.
• Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
• Evaluate students' academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, and prepare progress reports.
• Identify student needs and cooperate with staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
• Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned, e.g. youth clubs or library development.
• Become involved in community and school-based projects.
• Flexible and willing to fill in and assist as needed at the school.
• Prepared to collaborate and communicate with other teachers, parents and the school board.
• The most important qualities we look for in our volunteers are a genuine commitment to service and the ability to be a team player. We retain the right to dismiss a volunteer if it is in the best interest of the children or the program.
• Successful candidates will be required to go through criminal background check
We are seeking a minimum commitment of for the remainder of the school year ending end of June 2019.
Please note that applicants need not be certified teachers, but should be native English speakers
To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to [URL protected].
Please contact us at [URL protected] with any questions or for additional information.Apply for job