English Writing Teacher Needed in Tanzania, East Africa
|Native||Non-native English speakers can apply|
Job Description – English Writing Teacher
Seeking an innovative teacher for a new secondary school located in Makuyuni, northern Tanzania. Requires an independent and adventurous spirit with a desire to make a difference with the youth of rural Africa. Approximately six month commitment.
Tanzania Education Corporation (TEC) is a Boston based NGO whose mission is to Educate the Future Leaders of Tanzania. TEC has worked with Tumaini Junior School, a high performing K-7 primary school in the town of Karatu since 2009. In its first 14 years of operation, Tumaini Junior School has consistently ranked in the top 1-2% of schools in the country. Tumaini Senior Secondary School is a new four year (Forms 1-4) secondary school which opened in January, 2016. The new school is located in the neighboring village of Makuyuni, an hour from Arusha, also with a strong academic focus.
TEC has developed innovative courses using Project Based Learning. Prior courses have focused on the UN Millennium Development Goals in their local communities, a creative writing course on graphic novels and entrepreneurship and design thinking. Interviews of local experts and a final project are part of each course.
- Work with the US TEC team to help design and teach a course in expository writing. The course will be taught in English to Form 3 students during the school term January 1 – May 31, 2018.
- Specific skills in the class include planning a writing project, developing a thesis or argument, providing evidence, linking the evidence to the argument.
- Writing assignments will be taken from real life, for example, a job application cover letter, a college application essay, a newspaper article. There will be ample opportunity to be creative and make the assignments fun for the students.
- Professionals from the community will be invited to the class, such as local journalists.
- At least a bachelor’s degree
- Teaching experience and international experience in Africa are both highly desirable
- Cultural sensitivity, the ability to learn from and work successfully in a different culture
TEC will cover the costs of round trip airfare, visa expenses, as well as local housing and will provide a stipend to cover living expenses.
Contact: Frank Lee, Tanzania Education Corporation, [URL protected]