In joining our team, you’ll have the opportunity to co-lead classes in Kamhlushwa, South Africa.
|Native||Non-native English speakers can apply|
Have you been looking for a cause to believe in and work for?
Looking to connect with passionately curious professionals?
Want to learn more about non-profits, education, and/or youth development?
Then come join our team at Imagine Scholar! In joining our team, you’ll have the opportunity to co-lead classes (with ample training and support to ensure you flourish), work closely with our executive director to learn about different aspects of nonprofit management, and be given a platform to create and/or lead initiatives on site. Since we offer extensive training and coaching. we’re open to all kinds of past experience and backgrounds. Ultimately, we're looking for people with the right vision, attitude, and energy for our students and space.
TRAINING & COMMUNITY:
- Hands-on facilitator training and mentorship - new team members will spend
their first two months working alongside current facilitators to learn about
our unique pedagogy and philosophy at Imagine Scholar
- 1x1 personal coaching - our executive director will work with you to set personal growth goals and help coach you to achieve them
- Connection with awesome youth - our scholars are incredibly open and relationship oriented. With students' interests varying from poetry to astrophysics to videography to sustainability, building strong relationships is easy.
- Imagine Scholar is partnered with some of the top education programs and networks across the continent of Africa. Working through at our program is a great entry connection to education on the continent.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- 2-year commitment, with the option to extend
- Hunger to learn about creative + student-centric education
- Vulnerability to take feedback, share ideas, and be a part of our ever evolving team and program
- Willingness to try any and all projects offered (with coaching and direction of course!)
- Passion and interest in literature, verbal + nonverbal communication, and helping others share their ideas
- Capacity to thrive (personally and professionally) in a communal living + working space in rural setting
LIVING AT IMAGINE SCHOLAR
- Working with 50ish students on a daily basis, our work is quite social in
its nature! So some staff prefer to use their evenings independently reading,
watching movies, cooking, and/or recharging
- For other times one is looking to be social: we have up to 7 staff at a time on site, thus can frequently be found doing potlucks, movie nights, sunset chats on the deck, and or going out to dinner together. There is usually one person going into town a week, and a bi-weekly poker game at a local dive bar.
- You’ll be staying at our ed center - our main education hall that includes three dormitory rooms, a communal kitchen and a communal bathroom. The kitchen and bathroom are shared with students when on site.
WHO YOU’LL BE WORKING WITH:
Our team on the ground comes from a variety of backgrounds and boasts an array
- Ayanna - cares too much about punctuation and syntax, loves to travel, eat and wait for her faves to show up on Kindle Daily Deals
- John - minimalist in training, math geek, lover of hot weather and short shorts, and is known to finish almost any leftovers
- Corey - aspiring chef, lover of hammocks, hiking guide, and local mindfulness guru
- Meg N - lover of oolong tea, cognitive science nerd, aspiring sleep coach, and known to take days off when her favorite YA books are released
- Monthly Stipend - Year I: $300 monthly / Year II: $700 monthly / Continued
increase each year
- Food paid for by organization - $100 monthly equivalent
- Housing (on site accommodation, internet, electricity, running water, etc) - local equivalent $300 monthly
- Flight credit - flight credit of $1000 per year
- Access to organizational educational resources (free headspace account, huge kindle library, pedagogy training materials)
- Ultimately you should not need to tap into personal savings while here, unless for personal travel
Entry level or Mid Professional
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
4-year degree (any background!)
Please send your resume AND a written or video (a video is preferred!) message as to why you're interested in this opportunity to [URL protected]. Please, no generic cover letters - we will not consider your application if we receive one! We want to see who you are, what you're all about and how you see yourself contributing to the Imagine Scholar family. Our organization is an amazing place to work - our team and students are fun, dynamic, and really personable. Thus, we're looking for excited and genuine candidates. Tell us about your skills and quirks. Anything that makes you, you! Please also provide the following information:
1. Where you saw this post
2. Your first available date and any required end dates/latest possible day you could stayApply for job