Teach English in Spain: Public Schools in Madrid
|Native||Non-native English speakers can apply|
Do you want to teach English in Spain? Become a Language and Cultural ambassador in Madrid in January 2019. ConversaSpain cooperates with public schools in different locations across Spain, to help the English department improve the language skills of their students and staff.
• Deadline: November 22th
• Program length: January 7th to June 28th
The relation with the schools and the placements are fully managed by the local government. The program provides participants with support moving to Spain, initial training, and advice on every day practical non-school-related matters. The conditions while teaching English in Madrid are:
• 16 teaching hours per week
• 4 consecutive teaching days
• €1,000 monthly stipend
• Mostly rural and pueblo locations, but also in the city
Requirements to Participate
There is no age limit and Spanish skills are not required to participate. However, there are some conditions candidates must fulfill to take part in the program:
• Be native-level English speakers
• Be citizens of a country accepted by the Public Administration (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the US)
• Hold a university degree in any subject
• Job placement ensured (Madrid area)
• Monthly stipend: €1,000
• 16 teaching hours per week in 4 consecutive teaching days
• Paid school holidays (Easter, and local festivities), except for the summer period
• Pre-departure assistance: help with the visa application process and opening a bank account before arriving
• Welcome document: tips, advice, and practical tools to find permanent accommodation, among others
• Help with the police registration process
• Health insurance (EU citizens living in Europe)
• Orientation in Madrid: initial training and meeting with other participants
• Access to a multimedia platform with lessons, resources, and information
• ConversaSpain emergency support while in Spain
• Certificate of completion at the end of the program (issued by the Regional Education Authority)
• Activities held under the supervision and guidance of school teachers
• Two different programs available
“I would recommend the experience with ConversaSpain as it was great to have a guaranteed placement and the support before coming to Spain was very helpful. I chose the immersion week option and was very happy. It gave me a good introduction to some of the main sites of Madrid, but more importantly allowed me to meet some other people in our program who I have remained friends with in my time here”, Grant H., participant in Madrid.
Fees/Costs and Available Options
• Basic: €1,050
• Basic + 140-Hour TEFL Course*: €1,300
- The 140-Hour TEFL and Teaching English to Young Learners Course is a co-branded TEFL course that includes the following modules: grammar, methodology, video observation, teaching larger classes and young learners. The online platform is available 24/7 and tutors are professional and available within 48 hours. A TEFL certificate will be issued on successful completion of the training and a hardcopy certificate will be sent by post to students’ addresses.
The Role of a Language and Cultural Ambassador in Spain
Participants could deliver conversational English lessons to students or staff, encourage oral practice in English, explain the culture of their own country, help in other subjects (such as science, art, P.E., history, or music), assist with pronunciation and grammar, prepare students for oral exams, and collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons. The specific activities and tasks depend on the school.
Language Assistants in Public Schools help teach English to Elementary, Middle and High School students. This is a supportive role; thus, they aren’t in charge of entire classes and aren’t responsible for grading or discipline.
Assignment: Selected candidates will receive the details of their specific school placement 10 days before starting at the school. Age-group preferences are considered whenever possible (we cannot guarantee specific placement preferences).