English Language & Teacher Trainer (Canadians Only) - Laos & Myanmar (Canadian Applicants Only)
|Native||Non-native English speakers can apply|
Start Date Jan – Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 10 Months
Language Requirements English
Apply: <[URL protected]>
The Volunteer’s Role
Cuso International is seeking a dynamic and experienced English as a Second Language (ESL) Trainer to help strengthen the language skills of government officials working in key ministries and agencies in Lao PDR. Through this placement with the Institute of Foreign Affairs, you will play a leadership role in developing and updating the training materials and curriculum for various courses, including English language. You will also have the opportunity to support Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) training initiatives for local staff, helping to ensure the sustainability of your contributions in the long-term while increasing the capacity of key staff and the organization as a whole.
To achieve these objectives, the volunteer will provide instruction to English as a second Language student with the objective of improving student competencies in spoken English, listening comprehension, reading proficiency and writing abilities, as well as cross-cultural awareness and understanding.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Design lesson plans, developing appropriate in-class activities to address students’ needs and abilities;
- Encourage student participation and supporting individual efforts, monitoring and evaluating student progress and producing related reports;
- Work collaboratively with teaching team to improve the training program suitable to second language instruction with diverse leaners;
- Conduct skills assessments; design lesson plans for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels; monitor and evaluate student capabilities and progress; mentor Lao teacher and create a student-centered learning environment;
- Facilitate learning opportunities for Lao teacher to improve their teaching skills and English language proficiency, such as providing feedback and assistance in lesson planning, document preparation and communication skills;
- Contribute and participate in curriculum development, designing new class activities and demonstrate lesson planning and delivery, including adapting existing materials to meets the needs of students with limited English proficiency;
- Incorporate Cuso and IFA learning goals and objectives into lesson plans and daily interactions with students and colleagues;
- Contribute and participate in Cuso Program Office meetings and workshops;
- Undertake special projects as required. e.g. Assess and evaluate candidates for IFA’s Diplomat Interns program e.g. Interpreting skills workshop, etc.
- Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Post-secondary training in education or English language teaching or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in teaching English as a second language
- Experience in developing lesson plans.
- Experience with mentoring, tutoring and supporting skills acquisition
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Apply: <[URL protected]>